I am embarrassed to admit it, but I honestly don't know when the last time I actually read a book was before maybe January. I listened to books on tape quite a bit while I folded laundry or cleaned the house, but just never had the desire to sit down and read. Then we moved and decided not to do cable anymore and surprise, I have lots of time to read:) I just finished probably one of my first fantasy books (besides Harry Potter of course) by Brandon Sanderson called Elantris. It took me a while to get into it, but since my sister had suggested it (she is the best recommend-er of books) and I had no other book to read at the time, I keep with it and ended up completely hooked.
I am normally much more of a CIA, assassin, secret agent man kind of book lover but sometimes those can have some naughty language in them. I absolutely loved The Bancroft Strategy by Robert Ludlum and it has pretty good language beside taking the Lord's name in vain. (Sometimes when I read I can substitute/skip over the bad stuff, but when I listen to books on tape you really can not weed that icky stuff out.) That is why I had to stop listening to Vince Flynn, but he is my favorite. His books are soooo good!!!! If you like 24, you will love his books. He actual did some of the writing for 24.
At Risk by Patricia Cornwell was a quick read and really fun. Jeremy just finished Congo by Michael Crichton and he recommended that one. Michael Crichton is all around good, but I have a hard time reading a book that I have seen the movie of even if the book is nothing like the movie. Jeremy also loves Clive Clussler books. They are kind of Indiana Jones type of adventures.
What got me started back on reading though was watching Where The Red Fern Grows. I remembered that I had loved it so much when I was younger. So I checked Summer of the Monkeys and it out from the library, read Summer of the Monkeys first, since it was shorter:), and was so proud of myself for reading a whole book!!! The book is wonderful. It reminds you of the good-old days and good people, it will make you laugh, and cry and feel good all over. Where The Red Fern Grows does the same thing. I love the country life and the down-to-earth people that it represents. It reconfirmed my desire to have a farm...more particularly a cow. I love cows:) SO anyway...if you are looking for a few good books I really enjoyed these.
June Mojo Madness Winners
9 years ago

3 comments:
I can't believe that you got rid of cable! I would die!
P.S. The bachelor and Dancing with the Stars is on tonight! :)
Well...the tv still picks up a few good channels...like ABC. I don't know that I am disciplined enough to give up Dancing:)
I am a little sheepish to recommend these, but have you read the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyers? The final book (book 4) comes out in August. They are my guilty pleasure.
Post a Comment