Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Weird...but fun day

I could go on for a long time about what happened today, but here is the condensed version without all the crazy things that run through my brain. Yesterday when I dropped off Jeremy downtown, there was a bird sitting on the back of our car. I am not sure if it was alive or dead because I was a little freaked out and could not look at it. Jeremy was pretty sure it was dead and I just hoped it would fall off the car as I drove home. Later that day I remembered about it when I loaded in our new lawn mower (yeah!!!) and it was not there. (I mowed our lawn after two weeks of not mowing it and it took up one and half garbage cans. I had to borrow the neighbors garbage can but I told him I would mow his lawn too because his lawn was in the same shape mine was, if not worse, and was able to fill his garbage can all the way up too. I really enjoy mowing lawns. I should start a service.)

Anyway...today the TV guy came and was installing some stuff and told me that there was a little bird out on our air conditioner. Then it moved to the porch and stayed there for a long time, with Porter just staring at the door, and then it moved back to the air conditioner (two hour period of time this is all happening in). When I went out to look at the bird I could swear it was the bird from the day before, BUT even if it wasn't...I was still a little uncomfortable with the bird at my house. Flashes from Hitchcock's "THE BIRDS" entered my mind. The TV guy actually had grown up with doves and said that this was a baby dove and just couldn't fly very well. If it was the same bird, it rode all the way from the Salt Palace to my home some 20ish miles away on the freeway. Strange! I will probably have nightmares tonight.


Now the sad part of the day. I was playing fetch with Porter at the park and Kenyon was with us, obviously. Porter turned around to fetch his ball and ran right into Kenyon. Their heads hit so hard that Kenyon's eye split open. Here is a pic of his eye all cleaned up....

It definitely bled a lot by itself, but was made worse by sweet Kenyon's tears. It looked like the blood was just rolling down his face. Sorry to be so graphic. Kenyon is a tough one though. He cried like crazy for about a minute until he saw the swings and then everything was OK. I hope this in not the first of the Loris accident curse. My little brother Adam has taken the brunt of the accident prone curse (at least his injuries have been the most expensive), but lately my older brother Jeff has had a few costly run-ins with the curse. Oh the stories my mom tells of going to the emergency room weekly for months at a time and the nurses knowing her by name. My favorite story is when one of the older boys (I think Jeff) split open his chin for like the third time within like a week or something and my mom didn't take him to the hospital because there was nothing left to stitch up. His chin was just hamburger. She ended up calling her mom and grandma told her to use egg whites to hold the skin together. Amazing. I guess that is what you get with 3 boys born within 18 months of each other. Just some accidents (there have been many more) to remember and pass on to future generations:

Jon getting hit in the neck with a baseball and by a miracle survived when he shouldn't.(surgery)

Jon falling into a canal and not drowning

Jeff getting hit by a car (maybe had surgery but I can't remember)

Jon breaking his neck in football (I think it was football)

Adam breaking his neck in football

Adam breaking his back falling from a roof (surgery)

Jeff breaking his back, femur, and rib falling from a roof(surgery)

Adam breaking his wrist four wheeling(surgery)

Adam breaking his collar bone four wheeling(surgery)

Jeff breaking his arm four wheeling(surgery)

Adam breaking his ankle playing basketball(surgery)

Adam breaking his jaw and teeth riding a bike (surgery)

Me burning my leg (surgery)

Plus all the countless arm breaks from Anna and all the stitches that I don't even know about. What a history my family could write just about our accidents and injuries. Ridiculous.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I'm so glad you commented, now I get to see what you and your cute little family are up to! Congrats on a second boy, we kind of love boys around our house!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I realized how many times your family has been injured. That is impressive, yet you're all alive and well to tell about it. Maybe you should write a book. You're having a boy? Yea!! When you're new one is about 10 months old, him and Kenyon will be best buds. I love having two boys so close in age. They are seriously best buddies, and it just gets better everyday. I sure miss you and hope everything is going well.
Tam