Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bread Making

I would complain about baking bread, but I know there are a lot of people out there less fortunate than me who would love to even have bread so I wont complain even though I want too.
I started baking bread about, ooh, 2 ish years ago. I figured I wasn't doing so well on the food storage thing so at least I could learn a little self reliance by making my own bread. I have no idea if it is cheaper, but at least I can get a loaf out once and a while even if it is like a brick. (Jeremy always says he likes it and it makes me feel good. What a doll! I personally don't eat much of it.)So in the past 2 years you would think I could have perfected at least one kind of bread, but no. I tried easy white bread, dry and hard most of the time. I tried my sister's amazingly moist and fluffy wheat bread (you have to try it)...turned out flat for me. Even with my sisters help and extra gluten it just never really came out right. I have tried a wheat and white flour mix too, but alas, I think bread making may not be my talent. That does not mean I give up. BUT...Tuesdays expedition is proof that I still have a long way to go.


This is what bread dough looks like after a second raising and I forgot that I was even making bread until it had been in the warmer for about 2 hours longer than it should have been. I am guessing that a person probably needs to have a little more focus and attention to detail to make bread. All was not lost...when life gives you lemons, make scones. Thank heaven I am a space cadet, otherwise we would not have had super tasty scones for breakfast.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Amy, I loved reading this, I will soon be sending you a recipe that I feel is pretty fool proof! It even turned out for me the first time, which is not always the case when working with yeast...but I have also found that your yeast makes all the difference, because for awhile nothing worked for me, got some different (new) yeast - and all was well again!